Monday, June 29, 2009

Random Thoughts

I really like the Batwoman Detective Comics issue, even though it was mostly set-up. The "religion of crime" concept is cool, though I was probably most pulled in by Williams' art.
I wasn't as thrilled with the Question backup. I just don't think the character works that well as Montoya. I liked the conspiracy nut/right-wing loon Rorschach-for-kids version from the Justice League Unlimited series better.

I wish they would switch the Manhunter and Question features -- I think Montoya would work better in parallel with the street-level Gotham stories.

Incredible Hercules was downright philosophical this week, what with all the musings on the nature of God and how, if he exists, he must be an asshole just like Zeus. Not only that, the book suggests that being an asshole is a prerequisite for being God. Not used to such deep thoughts in my super-hero books, but I like (I'm sure Herc is slated for cancellation any day now).

I don't want to spoil Runaways for anybody, so don't read this if you haven't read #11 yet. I thought Immomen did a great job with the characters; Nico as the de facto mother is still kind of irritating, but whatever. I was hoping she'd be the one to get the axe, but no, they kill off my favorite character which, of course, is the awesome telepathic dinosaur. I'm not blaming Immomen because I'm sure this was an editorial decision, but still -- why couldn't they have killed Nico? I'm assuming this is some convoluted way to bring Gertrude back to life. But since Gertrude doesn't actually have any powers, I'm not sure what she's supposed to do without Old Lace. Nevertheless, I'm excited the Gert's coming back because she was many favorite character along with Alex.

Paul Pelletier, who pencilled War of Kings and the first issues of Guardians of the Galaxy, is coming to Tampa in 2 weeks for a coand, of course, I probably won't be able to go because I'm moving that weekend. Dammit!

1 comment:

gish said...

***SPOILER ALERT***

I agree re: Runaways. At first, I thought Nico would be my favorite, but she mostly annoys me. Which is weird. I mean, Japanese goth witch, hello? But I do hope they bring Gert back, because it turns out she was my favorite instead.