Monday, June 29, 2009

Pull List for this Week

As Gish predicted, since last week held so much goodness, this week has only a few comics. Here's what we're getting:

Batman and Robin #2: I freaking love Grant Morrison and I love this series. The last issue was everything I expected it to be and then some. Professor Pyg and his Toad henchman have the potential to become great new Batman villains. I also love Dr. Hurt and the Club of Villains, who will probably be making a come back to this book in a few issues. I just wish it wasn't limited to only twelve issues. Of course, D.C. probably can't keep it in their pants long enough to let Bruce stay "dead" for twelve issue.

War of Kings #5: Probably too late to get in on this if you haven't, but it's quite a ride. This is especially true if you've been following the other cosmic titles with any regularity. DnA will probably throw the kitchen sink at us in this one, because they tend to like big surprises and cliffhangers in the final issues of an arc. The War was looking a little one sided up until issue 4, so expect the bad guys to push back.

Secret Six #11: Who knows what madness to expect from the mind of Gail Simone this month, but I'm sure Secret Six will kick ass like it usually does.

Dead Pool Merc with a Mouth #1: Isn't one Deadpool on-going monthly enough? Why do we need two? I'm not optimistic about this book, but Gish will probably make me buy it. Hopefully it at least provides some laughs.

Captain America: Reborn #1 & Buffy: The Vampire Slayer #26: I'm on the fence about these two. I've been reading Buffy since issue #1, and I've seen all the TV episodes, so I'm pretty highly invested in it. But the last 10 or so issues of Buffy have not grabbed me at all -- they lack all the elements that made the first issues, and the TV show, a hit. They aren't that funny, there's very little character development, and the whole Slayer Army thing just doesn't fit the tone and style of the Buffyverse. I'll probably skip it. Captain America, on the other hand looks like it might be pretty good. I love Brubaker's Cap work, and he'll be teaming up with Bryan Hitch whose work is usually pretty good. This has all the elements of a successful book, yet I find that I'm not that interested in it. Probably because I don't really care about Steve Rogers and I think his return is forced. Brubaker was telling some great stories with Bucky Cap? Why jeopardize that by bringing bad Cap v.1? I was much more interested in the new Girl Bucky that showed up in #600. I'll probably skip Reborn, though.

1 comment:

gish said...

I might make you buy the new Deadpool book. The existing one is so fucking great, I don't know why you wouldn't want to get two a month. Though a lot of that is due to him writing the character really well. (Didn't like the Thunderbolts version as much, for example.)