Thursday, June 26, 2008

Marvel v. DC

In response to Shadow's latest post, I'm torn as to which universe I like better. There are good characters in both, and good stories. It kind of boils down to the sorts of comics I like. For example, I like comics that feature female characters, and two of my favorites (Catwoman and Wonder Woman) happen to be from the DCU. There's even a book with an all-girl team, with an ex-librarian leader! What's not to love? I like a lot of the female DC characters in general. Not that I don't like the female Marvel characters (Quasar is teh awesome.)... It's just that the ones I like don't get their own books or stories, for the most part.

I also tend to prefer non-costumed superhero books. Like the Runaways in the Marvel universe, for example. But even if you don't count Vertigo titles, DC has stuff like Simon Dark, which is pretty much my favorite series right now. For some reason, I tend to associate DC with being darker (again, this may have more to do with Vertigo) and I prefer heavier stuff. Also, Batman has been a long-time favorite of mine. I love Gotham and the villains and (if you couldn't tell from the name of the blog) the whole Arkham thing. The goth/Malkavian in me says there's nothing cooler than crazy people and an anti-hero in black and a creepy asylum in the middle of it all.

For me, it's not which universe is better or worse. I enjoy them both, and don't consider myself a hardcore fan of one to the exclusion of the other. Hell, I love indie comics like Fell and Kabuki and Lenore and pretty much anything Jhonen Vasquez does. I don't care who publishes them, as long as I like the characters and stories.

2 comments:

shadow said...

Costumes rule! Get outta here with your 90's Vertigo I'm-so-dark stuff. We all love John Constantine, but it's time to move on. I think one of the coolest things in comics is when they take costumed super-heroes and make a gritty quasi-realistic story using those characters, like Civil War, Batman RIP, Daredevil, Ellis' Thunderbolts, or the Death of Captain America.

gish said...

I dunno. I can't pinpoint why I like what I do. It's not that I don't like Thunderbolts or Batman. (In fact, like I said, I love Batman.) Ultimately, I think I'm really drawn to visuals more than anything. And while you know I love the full page spread battles, the dark, sketchy art in books like Simon Dark and Fell is more evocative for me. I'll have to give this more thought, so maybe I can explain it better...