Thursday, June 26, 2008

Thought for the Day

Why does it seem like everybody on the Web is a hardcore, virtually exclusive DCU fan? Am I missing something? By all accounts Marvel sells more books, yet the representation on the Web is strongly tilted toward DC. Personally, I can barely understand what is going on in most of DC's titles. And aside from Batman, Joker, Superman, and Lex Luthor, the characters don't really seem that interesting to me. Is it supposed to be the thinking man's imprint because of all the weird metaphysics like the stuff in Final Crisis? Does the DCU better reward long-standing reader loyalty?

I mean, I would much rather read a story about alien invasions, civil war, and political, moral, and social strife than spend all day figuring out how fifty-two different versions of the multiverse are going to collide in a cosmicsignularitythatdestroysthenotionofKantianfreewillasweknow.... Plus, I just find Marvel's heroes and villains more compelling and, well, cooler, and the universe they inhabit seems more fully developed and realistic (for a world inhabited by costumed vigilantes). Just me, I guess. The Internets do not concur.

Gish (our resident DC fan), you want to chime in with your thoughts?

No comments: